A reseller agreement is made between two parties where one party agrees to sell, market, distribute or lease a product on the other party’s behalf, on certain terms and conditions. The agreement sets out these terms and conditions. A reseller agreement will typically also state that the product manufacturer retains rights to his or her intellectual property.
Reseller agreements should include the following:
- Description of the specific products the “reseller” will be selling, distributing, or leasing
- Description of how those products will be marketed
- Statement of the geographic area in which the party may resell the products
- Statement of the time in which the party may resell the products
- Statement of whether the agreement is exclusive or non-exclusive
- Description of the sales targets
- Description of the conditions for product returns
- Description of conditions for termination of the contract (by both parties, one party?)
Reseller agreements are valuable in the development of the relationship between the reseller/distributor and supplier/manufacturer. A well-drafted written agreement helps establish a relationship built upon fairness and mutual benefit. Contact our Chicago business attorney to assist in the drafting of a reseller agreement to minimize the risk of disputes between parties and costs involved with resolving disputes. We will ensure your interests are well represented and the agreement will harness a strong relationship between the parties.